9.27.2013

Theater Lives in Schlarbaum 2

This fall, I'm living with three fabulous friends of mine. It just so happens that two of them, Alison P. and Emily are heavily involved in the theater department. Especially the first fall production. Alison P had a lead role and Emily designed the lighting for the show. The fall production is Proof and last night Alison W. and I went to the performance.

The play focuses on Catherine, a 25 year old who is adjusting to life after her father's death. Her father, Robert, was a brilliant mathematician but for the past ten years, struggled with a terrible mental illness. The oldest daughter, Claire, escaped the family to head to New York. This leaves Catherine to take care of her father, dropping out of school and basically becoming his rock. The play focuses on the days after Robert's death, with flashbacks to see the relationship between Catherine and her father. The final character is Harold (Hal), a Ph.D. mathematician who is determined to go through Robert's writing to see if anything brilliant has been tucked away. Upon discovering a proof about prime numbers, Hal, Claire, and Catherine must confront who wrote it and how to keep moving forward.

It was a well done play. I knew the actors so it was cool to see them playing different people than they are in real life. The play itself was solid. Good writing and I loved the math and science they sprinkled in (makes sense since I adore the geeky math stuff in The Big Bang Theory). I enjoyed spending my Thursday night in the theater and I'm glad I could go, see, and appreciate all the hard work Emily and Alison P. put into the production!  


0 comments: