5.13.2014

Take Me Out to the Ball Game!

Let the 2014 May Term begin!

So the day after graduation, I began my next month-long adventure. MAY TERM! I was fortunate enough to be able to participate in my third May Term. It's another Writers Colony, like the one I participated in May 2012. Except no Lake District or sheep, instead, baseball.

Here's our schedule, slightly altered now, but relatively accurate.


Our first class meeting was Monday morning. We chatted about baseball memories we had, the writings we would complete, assigned jobs for the trip, and read some box scores. We were suppose to see the Kernels play on Monday night, but the rain and lightning canceled the game. 

Today, we got up and headed to Dyersville to see the Field of Dreams. You know, that movie with the phrase, "If you build it, they will come?" Yeah, that field. 

It was a chilly day in Iowa and stepping out of the van we were met with quite a chill. The wind was what really made the day nasty. Lucky for us, the only other people at the field actually had a Coe connection. There was a couple who had been Admission counselors for Coe in the late 1970s, early 1980s. We had a lovely chat with them and even got our first group picture with them!


We then ran the bases, played catch, and tried to stay warm. I even got this nice shot of the field.
 

It was a little odd to not have any corn on the outskirts of the field. Kind of changes your perception of the field. I remember the last time I was there with my family, we attempted to take the classic "walking out of the corn" picture. There was no way to do that this time. 

With chilled hands, we jumped back into the van and ate lunch at a local spot in Dyersville. It was delicious and we even saw our Field of Dreams friends.

Warmer and no longer hungry, it was time to head back to Coe. While we had talked about seeing a Kernels game tonight, the cold weather prompted us to just watch a baseball movie in the Writing Center instead. We saw The Rookie, a classic baseball movie that just warms your heart. 

Now, I better finish packing and then get to bed. We take off for the Twin Cities tomorrow morning. While I'll blog on this blog during the trip, our class also has our own collaborative blog to share our experiences. I happen to be the blog manager for our class blog, so you should check it out! 

0 comments: