7.14.2011

Home Away From Home: Millie's Summer Work Experience II

1. What's campus like in the summer?  Have you discovered any new gems on campus you hadn't discovered during the school year?


Campus is empty, but relaxing.  It's nice to be on campus and not have to worry about homework or class. Since I've started giving tours, I've learned about/visited some other random places on campus, such as the sneaky door behind the racquet ball courts, the Eby annex (I wandered around that area for the first time a couple weeks ago), the Physical Plant's offices and the area under the PUB (it'll be health services in the fall).  Now that I have more free time, I've also been exploring Cedar Rapids and I've discovered some gems in the city too--such as Aggie O'Shears, which is where I now get my hair cut. 

2. How and when did you line up your jobs?  Were they difficult to find?

I asked about the Racquet Center job in March, but was told all of the positions had been filled. About two weeks before school was out Coach Rodgers told me that someone backed out and that I could have the job if I wanted it. I was lucky!  The admission office emailed me and asked me to come in for a job interview.  I interviewed for a couple of positions and got the full-time tour guide job.  It wasn't too difficult to find positions on campus.  If I wouldn't have worked for the admission office or the raquet center, I would have worked for physical plant and the library.  

3. What are you favorite parts of your jobs?

Admission Office--meeting potential new students, telling them about my experiences on campus, and encouraging them to come to Coe. Working in the admission office is a blast--my coworkers are nice, I feel as though I'm contributing to Coe and I am able to learn more about the inner-workings of Coe.  
Racquet Center--I really enjoy the relaxing atmosphere (I can read while I work) and I'm also being inspired to work out more! 

4. Do you have any big plans for your spare time?

Over the summer I want to learn a little more about Cedar Rapids--how to get around, fun places to go, different places I should go for random emergencies.  So far, my favorite places in Cedar Rapids are the snow cone stand on Collins and two smoothie places--Nutri-Smoothie and Healthy Happenings.  I also hope to catch up on reading and watch some movies I missed out on during the year.  

5. Would you find a job on campus next summer?  Why or why not? 

Yes! I love being on campus during the summer.  It's the perfect break from a hectic year on campus.  Next year I hope to apply for jobs in some different offices so I can experience different aspects of campus.  Being here for the summer has allowed me to learn a lot about campus and about myself.  I'm glad I decided to stay! 

0 comments: