7.21.2011

Take Me Out to the Ball Game: Kyle's Baseball Road Trip II





Before the Q&A, I've included two photos Kyle sent me.  



Also, he sent me the group photo:


(Kyle is bottom row, second from the right)

1. This May Term is called Writers Colony.  How intensive was the writing and what sorts of writing did you do?
The writing on the trip itself was very manageable because we were able to work at our own pace and we weren’t required to have any papers completely done during the trip. Once back at Coe, we had 4 days to complete the 3 major papers that were required of us. The 3 papers consisted of a segmented essay, which was when we wrote segments throughout the trip on a baseball topic and put them all together in the end. The second was about your favorite or most memorable experience or moment that happened on the trip. The third was a compilation of the trip in a blog, photo, or video format, which basically just explained our experiences as a whole on the trip.

2. Could you give us a brief look at how you found out about this May Term, how you registered, and any preparation you had to do before leaving?
I had heard from a few friends about them possibly doing a May Term this May and I thought that sounded interesting. I then went on to the My Coe website and checked out all of the available May Terms and this one just jumped right off the page. I was a huge baseball fan and this seemed like the perfect thing to do. Once looking into it more, I found out that I had to submit a 750-1000 word essay explaining what I want to learn on this trip and what I think I will learn on this trip to be able to enroll in the class. Once I was accepted, I simply had to fill out some paperwork and I was set. There wasn’t much preparation you had to do but it was recommended that you begin reading one of the 3 books that were required to purchase for this class.

3. What was the most memorable play you saw on your trip?
The most memorable play that I saw on the trip was when we saw a walk-off homerun by a Washington Nationals player to win a really close game that we saw in Washington D.C. The crowd was so excited and it was an unbelievable atmosphere after that play occurred.

4. What's one really interesting and or unique baseball fact you learned on your trip?
One really interesting thing that I learned on this trip is that in every game, one baseball is never used more than once. With every pitch, there is a brand new ball being used.

5. Did you get sick of ballpark food or now that you're back, are you craving those hot dogs and Cracker Jacks?

The ballpark food never really gets old, in my opinion. It’s so great and unique that eating on a consistent basis was not only easy, but also quite enjoyable. Now that I’m back to eating homemade meals, I do miss the taste and smells of those incredible ballpark dogs.

0 comments: