7.28.2011

Let's Discover Physics!: Alison's Summer Research II

1. What's your favorite part of doing research during the summer?
Alison: There are a lot of highlights to doing research here. I love the people I work with and the things I'm doing. I also love the lunches the physics department sponsor every Wednesday (good food for cheap? OF COURSE!) 

2. Have you discovered any neat things about campus you didn't learn
about during the school year?
Alison: There are tons of neat things I discovered about campus that I didn't know about during the school year. First, we have a totally awesome sand volleyball court that hardly anyone uses. I've spent countless afternoons out there with all kinds of interesting people. Second, our barbeque pits are legit. Grab a bag of charcoal, some burgers, and some friends and you've got the recipe for a good night.

3. What sort of things do you do in your free time?
Alison: Since physics research during the summer is a 9 to 5 job, I have most of my nights and weekends free. I love to lay out in the sun and read a good book, explore the many unique shops and restaurants around Cedar Rapids and Iowa City... or go hiking around the Indian Creek Nature Center. It's also wonderful to have homemade dinners and movie nights with friends still on campus. 

4. What does a typical day of research look like?
Alison: My typical research day starts at 9. From 9 to around 12, I'll work on hearthing my samples on the laser levitator or running other spectroscopy measurements on previously made samples. I typically have a one hour lunch break then come back to work at one. From one till five, I levitate my samples turning them (hopefully) into a glass. Physics research doesn't really have a typical day. Almost every researcher has a different project and depending on where they are with the specific project multiple different steps to take each day. 

5. Will you do research next summer and do you recommend it to others?
Why or why not?
Alison: I would love to do research next summer but Peterson Hall is being remodeled meaning no physical research will happen here. I'm looking into either an REU at a different school or an internship overseas. I would recommend research to anyone considering it. It's a wonderful opportunity that not many other schools offer. We also have research in other departments, I have friends doing business research, psychology research, biology research, and chemistry research. There are all kinds of opportunities just waiting for you. 

0 comments: