10.10.2011

Swing Dancin' Saturday


Well my Saturday night would not have been complete without some swing dancing.  Rugcutters is a dance club on campus.  They meet Wednesday nights and teach people how to dance!  On Saturday night they decided to try something different and hold a PUB dance.  They paired up with Slick Shoes, Cornell College's swing dance club, for a night of swing.  Haley, Nicki, and I decided to check it out and we were glad we did!

When we got there we were just amazed at some of the dancers out there; they seemed so fluent and confident it was incredible.  And memorizing.  After standing around for a couple of minutes, some Rugcutters came over and taught us the basic swing dance move.  Which is really simple.  Step to the right, step to the left, back step.  Repeat.  It's that simple!  Of course once you start adding turns and whatnot in, well that's gets a little more complicated.

Both Rugcutters and Slick Shoes were super friendly and helpful to us newbies.  They asked us to dance and taught us a few things.  I mean, I definitely did more watching than dancing but that was totally fine with me.

Rugcutters also participates in an event in Iowa City called Hawkeye Swing Fest.  I've included their dance from last year.  You should know the tune.  

It's really neat to see clubs like this.  The students involved are extremely passionate.  I'm glad they had an informational session and I hope to do more swing dancing in the future!

0 comments: