11.05.2011

My First Blindspot Performance!

So I did it!  I performed at Blindspot.  I was a little nervous, not going to lie.  But I was performing with Alison (it was also her first Blindspot performance) so I knew we would be awesome.

We were the eighth act of the night.  Our act was simple: a five minute retelling of Beowulf.  A little back story on this selection.  Alison and I are both taking History of English Literature this semester.  I'm taking it as part of my English major and Alison is just taking it because the class sounded interesting.  Melissa Sodeman is our professor and she is FANTASTIC.  We have great discussions and I look at Renaissance poetry and sonnet sequences in a whole new way.  And I'm totally fine with that.  But back to the story.  The first thing we read out of our giant (and I mean GIANT) textbook was Beowulf.  I had read Beowulf this summer and reading it a second time was even better.  Alison and I kind of attached ourselves to this epic poem.  We loved it so much that we thought, "What a fun act in Blindspot!"  And boy, did we have a good time with it.  My friend Anna taped it so enjoy the clip!  Alison and I definitely plan to make another appearance on Blindspot, hopefully with some sonnets in hand.

I was so so so glad I performed tonight.  I love telling stories.  I love sweeping hand gestures, dramatic pauses, funny faces, and oh so much sarcasm.  And I love telling those "classic" stories but with a modern twist.  What a great Friday night.


0 comments: