1.21.2014

A Day In Hailley's Life

Hello readers!

This post is somewhat out of the blue, but I just had to share today with you. I guess I'm feeling a little nostalgic for Coe, in the sense that I would have hundred of days just like this one in the future. Unfortunately, I won't since graduation is quickly approaching.

But I digress.

The day began with a short workout at the Clark Racquet Center. The chilly temperatures and inch or so of fresh, fluffy snow kept many students in their residence halls and apartments this morning. I had the place to myself, and there's nothing better than having your pick of the equipment and what channel the TV is set at.

I came back to Schlarbaum, ate, showered, checked email, etc. Then it was off to the Writing Center. I did a little homework for my English seminar class, read some online articles, printed off a few things. An hour or so in, I moved to the front of the Writing Center for my two hour shift. I chatted with fellow consultants and ate lunch. After a little more reading, I left the Writing Center for an adventure of sorts.

In the middle of the day on a Tuesday, there's a pretty good chance I can catch my English professors in the English suite. Climbing the three flights of stairs in Hickok that I know so well, I arrived at the English suite only to find Melissa and Gordon having a conversation.

"Just the professors I was looking for!" I said walking in. This suite feels like home because there's a mix of trust, respect, admiration, and comfortness in this place. No matter what happens, coming to this suite and talking to my professors makes the day just that much better.

Both were happy to see me. We chatted for a bit and when someone came in looking for Melissa, Gordon and I walked over to his office. A few Coe Review items were discussed (we are beginning to prepare our fiction issue) and we set up a meeting time to go through some of my own writing for the class I'm taking with him.

I wandered back to Melissa's office where she was finishing up the discussion with the student that had been looking for her. We sat down and talked about everything, from my classes, to the beginning of the semester, to my post-Coe plans, and then finally, about my thesis. We made plans to meet later this week and begin the wrapping up (?? crazy, right?!?) process. Aka heavy revision and then defending the sucker (I mean that in the nicest of terms. I do love Mary Robinson and this paper).

As I was leaving Melissa's office, I noticed that Amber (my professor for the seminar on Manners and Marriage) was also in her office. I stopped by to say hello and we ended up discussing Clueless, Paul Rudd's ability to never age, and The Mindy Project. And yes, somehow all these topics do indeed relate to the class I am taking from her. It was nice to get to know her on this more personal level (because nothing bonds people together like The Mindy Project).

On my way across campus who did I run into but Millie! We are currently studying in the library, having a fabulous time. Our afternoon plans include more homework, a clarinet lesson (me), and then Zumba tonight (both of us)!

So that is my day. Today is great. Excellent. Fantastic. Superb.
This has been a message from Hailley. Thanks for reading.

0 comments: