9.21.2010

Classes at Coe

So I'm three weeks into my first year of college and I'm loving it here at Coe.  This post is dedicated to my classes at Coe.  Here you need 32 credits to graduate.  Some of these credits will be earned through your General Education requirements which are pretty much classes that contribute to your liberal arts education.  And then of course you're taking classes for your major(s) and minor(s).  "Normal" classes meet either two or three times a week and are worth 1 credit.  There are also other "small" classes, such as music lessons, music ensembles, gym, etc. that are worth fractions of a credit.  Each semester you can earn a total of 4.9 credits; any more and you'll have to petition Coe.  This semester I'm taking 4.9 credits.  Here's what I'm taking:

- African American Literature (1.0 credit)
- French 315: Conversation and Composition (1.0 credit)
- FYS (First Year Seminar): Tempestuous Season (studying the 2008 Recession and 1.0 credit)
- History of Western Civilization (1.0 credit)
- Clarinet Lessons (0.3. credit)
- Concert Band (0.3. credit)
- Topics in Composition (0.3 credit, part of being a Writing Center Consultant)

Most of my classes meet on Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays.  It's definitely a new feeling of only have classes three times a week instead of five but I like it because it gives me more time to do my homework.  My classes have been really great so far; each class is pretty different from the others so I get a nice sampling of subject matter each day.

0 comments: