2.21.2012

Scholarship Weekend 2012

As I told many prospective students, Scholarship Weekend has a soft spot in my heart.  Two years ago, I visited Coe for the second time, had a fantastic experience, and even got some snow!  I love Scholarship Weekend because it's my opportunity to give back and meet prospective Kohawks who might have the same sort of experience I've had.

Friday was a busy day.  I arrived at Admissions at 8 AM and helped walk students to classes and whatever odd jobs Admissions had.  I left the Nassif House for an hour and a half to take my Mythology test and finish a scholarship application.  Then it was back to talking to prospective students and their parents.  I had a wonderful time.  I ate lunch with a boy and his mom and two parents from Colorado.  We discussed a lot of great topics and I was called, "a great communicator."  That made me feel fantastic!  I spent the rest of day giving three tours (all sort of different, which was fun) and talking to people.

I had the pleasure of helping out with the English Department Open House on Friday afternoon and then hosting two prospective students.  Annika stayed just for Friday night before being picked up by her parents and Anna stayed overnight with Heidi and I in Murray.  Both are amazing girls and I hope they chose Coe (they would make FANTASTIC KOHAWKS).  We saw a bunch of great things, such as the acapella group Ball in the House, the Vagina Monologues, and Blindspot.  Friday night was definitely packed; it kept us on our toes.

I woke up Saturday morning, took Anna to breakfast, and then teamed up with one of my favorite professors on campus, Gordon Mennenga, to interview students for English department scholarships.  We met some great students once again and discussed books, writing, New York term, and a variety of other things.  My day finished off with helping Admissions and talking to students.  I think by that time, they were pretty tired of us asking them if they had any more questions, but I think everyone who came this past weekend had an enjoyable time.

If any prospective students who were on campus last weekend are reading this, thank you for coming.  On behalf of the entire Coe community, I hope you had a good visit.  And I hope if Coe is the right fit for you, you will join us on campus in the fall.  We would love love love to have you.  And of course, if you have any questions, comment here and let me know.  I would love to answer them.  :)  

0 comments: