8.11.2012

The fastest yet most familiar week yet: Week 9

This past week, I met many many families, participated in ten panels, gave nine tours, and rode the party bus. It was Iowa's Private College Week and boy, did it go by fast. My days fell into a steady routine -- arriving at the library, a quick debrief, walking over to Hickok to greet the faculty speaker, speaking on a panel, giving a tour, eating lunch and then repeating the process all over again.

But we found ways to make it exciting. We had our regular name tag but also an "Ask Me About...." name tag. While most people kept it simple with their major and clubs they were involved with, I wanted to make it more fun. One day I simply wrote "$150,0000" which is the amount of money I as Student Senate Treasurer have the pleasure of allocating with my committee. Another day I wrote "Frogs and Elephants" the featured animals on the covers of The Pearl and The Coe Review. Some people did ask about them which livened up any conversation.

While we give our tours, Charlie the Kohawk finds us. He is on the party bus, the riders armed with freeze-pops as a mid-tour snack. But you just don't get a freeze-pop for free, you also have to take a photo with Charlie. The first few times, the photos with Charlie were boring. The group just stood there and plastered a smile on their faces. They turned out like this:


Two of the women who work in Admissions, Mary B. and Katie, told me I needed to liven my photos up a bit. These were some of the results:




I still need to get my favorite group picture, which was taken Friday morning. I'll be sure to post that once I get it! I also had one more trick up my sleeve, Jay (our new Admission counselor and my old CAP leader!) and I made signs and this is what Mary B. and Katie stumbled across on Friday afternoon:


Cute right? 

So it was a good week. I met so many cool students and I hope I see some of them on campus again. 

This weekend is a refresh and relax weekend. I checked out a TV season from the AV Department and spent my Friday night on the couch before going to bed early! Today was comprised of more relaxing, watching the Olympics, playing beach volleyball, and doing some reading. Tomorrow will most likely be very similar. 

On an exciting note, more students are moving back in! The football team moved in today and more students will arrive on campus all week. Peterson Hall should open its doors on Monday so professors can move back in and start unpacking! Our new apartments, Hampton Court, are open and students have started moving in. Those apartments are located right next to Brewed Awakenings and across from Stuart Hall. 


0 comments: