1.24.2013

Field Trip Wednesday & Thursday

So as I talked about in my last post, I was scheduled for a Bronx field trip on Tuesday but it was postponed. Little did I know that I would have the opportunity to go to the Bronx on Wednesday.

I arrived at the library at my normal time, worked on various projects, and took a lunch break around noon. When I returned Nick asked me, "Hey Hailley, want to go with Sarah to the Bronx?"

I said, "Sure, that sounds awesome."

So Sarah and I headed to Grand Central Station to hop on a train to take us north and into the Bronx. Sarah is another librarian in the correctional services department. She is wonderful and we always have good conversations about the purpose of libraries and our own personal experiences in libraries.

We were headed to Bronx Hope, a non-secure detention and placement school for incarcerated teens, to meet with their librarian, Anja. These teens live in group homes and go to school at Bronx Hope. This school is part of a New York School system called Passages Academy. The New York Public Library and the Brooklyn Public Library system work with these schools, primarily their libraries (obviously). I learned a lot about the program through my visit and through research post-trip. (Aka get ready for a lot of interesting links if you want to know more). First, I read a NYPL blog post that was an interview with the Passages Academy librarians. From that page, I visited the Passages Academy librarians' blog called "What's Good?" and then that blog took me to a website devoted to the Passages Academy libraries.

When we got to the school, we checked in with security and Anja met us. We discovered Bronx Hope had just moved into a new building this year and although there were many benefits to the building, an elevator was not included. So it was solely stairs. We swung by the library on the way to the teachers' lounge and it was nice. It wasn't huge, but there were plenty of books, DVDs, and places to sit. Anja was clearly proud of the space and you could immediately tell it was her home.

Up in the teachers' lounge, Sarah and Anja discussed different programs that the NYPL could bring in for these teens. The main program Anja was interested in was one that Sarah has perfected over the years, a resume building workshop. Sarah is extremely passionate about working with incarcerated people and helping them build a resume that highlights their strengths.

Once the meeting was over, so was my day. Sarah and I hopped back on the subway and rode back into the city. I got a little turned about leaving Grand Central Station but eventually found my way back to the West side and my hotel.

Ashley, Whitney, and I went out to dinner and were recommended a cute little Latin restaurant a few blocks from our hotel. As usual, we had fabulous conversation. This roommate situation is working out quite well! :)

So that was Wednesday. Today, we met Kathy in the lobby of the hotel before taking a crosstown bus to the Metropolitan Museum of Art.

I. Love. The Met.

It is fabulous. I could have and would have spent all day there if I could. Our purpose was to check out a photography exhibit that highlighted photoshop techniques before photoshop and computers were around.

Yes, you could manipulate photos without photoshop. Crazy, right?

It was a fascinating exhibit. Each room had a different focus, beginning with the first photos that were manipulated all they way up to the crazy photoshopped photos. The exhibit was also close to the impressionist gallery.

And who loves the impressionist period? This girl.

Yes, I spent about ten minutes in one of the Monet rooms just looking at the beautiful artwork. I plan on making several return trips and spending much more time with Monet and a bunch of other artists.

It was time for lunch and Whitney, Ashley, and I experienced our first food-cart lunch. Delicious. That's all we can really say, delicious.

Now the three of us are camped out in a New York Public Library branch (it's only a couple of blocks from our hotel). It's the St. Agnes branch and heavily used (especially by families). Perfect!

We do have a play tonight, Water by the Spoonful. It's been getting great reviews and I love plays, so naturally, I'm excited to go.

  

0 comments: