1.21.2013

Long Weekend

Because of Martin Luther King Jr. Day, all the library branches were closed today. This gave me a long weekend to continue to explore the city.

After working in the library for a few hours, Whitney and I wandered back to our hotel and walked around looking for a late lunch. After several, several, several blocks, we decided on Big Nick's, located conveniently right next to our hotel.

We spent Saturday night checking out an art gallery reception near Times Square. The artist was a friend of Kathy's. It was neat to see an art opening and know that there will be many more throughout the next couple of months.

Post-show, I met up with my aunt, uncle, and cousin who happened to be in the city Saturday night. We ate dinner at a delicious Thai restaurant called Topaz. It was nice to see them and in general, it's nice to have family close by.


Sunday was an adventure day; Ashley, Whitney, and I visited The Strand, It's a bookstore so it's no surprise we ended up there. They boast it's 18 miles of books.

It's a lot of books.

Of course, I found something. Aka a Strand bag, a notebook, and one book. Whoops!

The Strand is located in Union Square, so we just walked around the area and did lots of window-shopping.

Today, I had breakfast/catch-up with Alison at a bagel place a few blocks away from our hotel. Then I headed downtown to a coffeeshop for some writing, reading, and me time. Mid-afternoon I returned to the Upper West Side and went for a walk before having dinner with Ashley and Whitney.

Back to work tomorrow and also have event tomorrow night!

0 comments: