1.23.2013

More Organ Music!

After a long weekend, I was ready to head back to my internship. I thought Tuesday would be a field trip day to a library in the Bronx with a fellow librarian, but unfortunately, she wasn't feeling the best so the trip was postponed until next week.

Coffee in hand, I jumped on the subway (very crowded mind you) I headed downtown to the central library, aka the Mid-Manhattan branch. I headed up to my cubicle and worked on a few miscellaneous projects before Nick, my boss, came back from his own outreach program.  I'll also take this time to direct your reading to an excellent blog post that highlights some of what Nick and Sarah (another librarian I work with) do on a fairly regular basis. This is a type of community outreach I've never experienced before (Mt. Horeb doesn't have a prison) so I'm learning a lot so far and really pushing my thoughts of what it means to be a librarian.

My project for the rest of the day was revamping and adding onto the Veterans History Project Homepage. If you remember, on my first day, I was able to sit in on one of the interviews, which was a fascinating experience. We are still collecting interviews but need a central spot to store them all. I created separate subpages for each veteran, added a short biography and a few photos in, and now, am just waiting for the audio to finish off the page. I think it looks pretty good and I'm excited to add more veteran stories to the page.

I quickly walked home (it was quite chilly outside yesterday), had a warm cup of soup, and then headed to Alice Tully Hall for an organ concert.

Yes, you read that correctly, an organ concert.

The performers were Julliard students, all studying under a very well-known organist Paul Jacobs. It was a good concert; I don't think I've ever listened to that much organ music in one sitting. The students performed organ pieces written from the 16th century up to the present, adding a nice variety to the concert. Often, the organist would perform with another instrument and those soloists were also out of this world. When the concert finished, I just kept telling myself that I have to figure out how one plays the organ. As I said often in the Lake District, "It's research time!"


0 comments: