5.28.2013

Ten? Do we have ten? The group.

It's always interesting to see what student sign up for what May Terms and how the group interacts abroad. Last May, I had an excellent group that bonded during our three weeks in the fells of the Lake District. This May, I had the joy of traveling with nine other students along with Professor Keenan. Now, I have had Professor Keenan before; my very first semester on campus when I took Western Civilization. We have kept in touch since that class and it was nice to be her student again. The rest of the group included:

Kallie and Kelsey, my roommates and the other girls on the trip. Both are history majors and will be seniors this upcoming year. I had so much fun rooming with them and near the end of the trip, we started having nightly tea before going to bed. 

Alex, Ryan, Deg, Braydon, Danny, Charlie, and Brian. The boys. It was weird to be outnumbered but they were fun. Brian and I were buddies for the trip, and we had a lot of fun roaming museums and checking out ice cream favors in Krakow. When you got all seven boys together, you could count on endless movie quotes and lots of laughter. 

And so 10 was our major number. This number became even more important because on the first day, we might have temporarily split up. 

It was myself and Brian and I swear, it wasn't out fault. We had gotten into Berlin and were obviously jet lagged. It was a beautiful sunny day in Berlin and we just wanted to check in at our hotel. We found the bus we needed to take and the group had slowly begun to load this bus. Since there were so many people, Brian and I decided to head to the back of the bus. We sat down and the next thing we knew, the rest of the group was off the bus due to space issues. As Brian and I got up to get off, the bus doors closed and started to drive off. Brian and I couldn't do anything except wave at Professor Keenan as we pulled away from the airport. 

As the bus drove away, Brian and I started to laugh and freak out a little bit. Thanks to a friendly German woman sitting next to us and Brian's phone having a few international minutes, we not only figured out how to get to the hotel but also that if we got off at the first stop, we could meet up with the rest of the group when they hopped on the next bus. In the end, we were happily reunited and it became a running inside joke for the 11 of us throughout the trip. Thank goodness we know how to travel!

I think the best example of our group bonding took place at our final dinner in Warsaw on Friday night and early Saturday morning as we left the hotel. We were getting along and having a good laugh. It will be weird not seeing them all day every day this upcoming week but we will still be together to watch movies and finish up our term.

0 comments: