7.16.2013

The Reading Never Stops! Summer Project #2

With my future aspirations to be a librarian, it makes sense that I get in my fair share of reading. I have way too many books checked out from the Stewart Memorial Library and I have to stay on top of those due dates (we don't want any overdue books!)

My first summer reading project took place mainly at the end of May and the beginning of June. But first a little bit of history...

Every summer, the first-years are given a book to read before they come to campus. If you've been a long-time reader, you know that my freshman year we read Malcolm Gladwell's Outliers. The following year it was Persepolis by Marjane Satrapi and last year it was A Primate's Memoir by Robert Sapolsky. I was lucky enough to be on the committee to help pick A Primate's Memoir as well as the book for this upcoming class. 

This year's book is also an African memoir called When a Crocodile Eats the Sun by Peter Godwin. It takes place between 1996-2004 and mainly focuses on Godwin's evolving relationship with his dying father with a subplot focusing on the political and social turmoil in Zimbabwe during those years. Godwin was born and raised in Zimbabwe and eventually lived in both England and the United States as a journalist. The book is fascinating, not only for the story line, but for the amount of discussion that can be taken from the 300 some pages. It is written from a white, middle-upper class, male and so an obvious first question is: what is the memoir leaving out? What sides are not shared and what do we not learn that might create a different picture of the struggles happening in Zimbabwe? And, without spoiling the plot, Godwin's story is fascinating.

Since I had helped pick the book, I reread it after returning from Germany and Poland and then created a reading guide. I had a very similiar (okay exactly the same) assignment last summer for A Primate's Memoir. This summer I actually had more fun creating the guide. I love the feeling of reading a book and then picking it apart, both for discussion questions and also topics I then have the opportunity to explore. And just like last year, I hope the first-years enjoy both the guide and the book. Godwin will be coming to campus this fall, which I am very much looking forward to.

My second project is more of an ongoing project. I was once again asked to join the First-Year Book Committee to help choose books for the incoming classes in 2014 and 2015. And once again, I'm the only student on the committee. I am very honored and can't wait to pick out two more books. This committee also adds another heavy load of reading onto my already heavy thesis reading. But never fear! I was always the small child who had a book in her hands and this summer is no different. I love being in a committee where my assignment is to read!

More updates on this committee as I read more and we have more meetings.   

0 comments: