7.21.2013

Do You Think This Cake Needs More Sugar? Adventures From The Ladies of Schlarbaum 6

This weekend, all four of us (Millie, Hayleigh, Anna, and I) were all on campus. This is a rare event because of our crazy busy schedules so it was nice to have the apartment full.

Friday night, Hayleigh, Kyle, and I went to Bata's Restaurant, where Millie works. It wasn't too busy for a Friday night, so we were able to snag a table so Millie could wait on us. This restaurant is located in the Newbo District and is actually owned by Coe's head of computer services. It's a great restaurant, known for their delicious sweet potato fries (yum!), flatbread pizza, and blueberry burger. And seeing Millie in her waitress element was great!

On Saturday, I spent most of the day outside, reading and enjoying the nice weather. I'm reading a wide variety of things -- from books on Mary Robinson, to books as potential first-year common reading, and then of course, books just for fun! Saturday night was also kept pretty chill; more reading and just hanging out with the roommates.

But I think Sunday was the best day of the weekend. I spent the morning reading and around lunchtime, Millie and I walked to our favorite HyVee (about an hour walk round trip). We picked up a few essentials, but really we went for the walk, fresh air, and a chance to chat. Once back on campus, we were reading some more when suddenly Millie said, "Let's bake!"

Millie with our finished cake!
And thus, our baking adventure began. We decided to be super adventurous and not follow a recipe. After baking cakes for years on end, we figured we would know the basic gist of putting together a cake batter.

We did pretty well. Our cake was named The Three Egg Honey Cake. This is what it looked like before going into the oven (photo on right).

We let our cake cool off and headed to a music concert. Yes, this is our lives. Dr. Carson had sent out an all campus email earlier in the week announcing that the Cedar Rapids Municipal Band was having a concert. It took place at Ellis Park, which is on the river and about an hour away (by foot) from campus.

The concert was amazing. About an hour long and included some great music. We listened to George Gershwin, Glenn Miller, and the infamous Sandpaper Ballet song. I was taken back to some great high school band memories and it made me miss playing the clarinet as well (looking forward to getting back to lessons this fall). It was also nice to see a different part of Cedar Rapids. I discovered a whole other side of the city that I had not had the opportunity to see before now. This just makes me want to continue to explore Cedar Rapids, especially since I'm coming into my last year here.

When the concert got over, it was still light enough to walk back to campus. It was such a nice way to end the day and weekend.

Looking forward to another busy but great week ahead! With weekends like these, I sort of don't want summer to end!  







0 comments: