7.15.2014

A Trek Up Mount Trashmore

Now what is Mount Trashmore you may ask? And why on earth would I go to place named so...elegantly?

Well, this is a fun story. Last week, I attended my second Meet Me at the Market. I biked down to Newbo and found the place hopping with people, all ready for an adventure. It was warm outside, but not too bad. No rain, thank goodness!

The bike ride was to Mount Trashmore, which is just around the corner from the Czech Village. It use to be a landfill and now is closed, yet open to the public to hike up. Back in 2008, Mount Trashmore became the home for debris from the flood and closed once the city was relatively picked up. Today, it's open for people to walk/run/bike and offers a neat view of the city.

There were about 20 bikers who decided to make the ride. It was quite a sight to watch us bike towards Mount Trashmore. We held up traffic a bit as we made our way along the bridge across the river, headed towards the Czech Village. The bugs came upon us as we made our way along the river towards the entrance of the landfill. The road turned from smooth pavement to pebbly gravel. I was bound and determined to make it up the hill, which gradually got steeper as it wound its way up to the top.

I didn't quite make it.

But I came close, about 3/4s of the way. I was huffing and puffing, while being eaten alive by bugs. However, I got this view at the top.


You could see Cedar Rapids, from the river to the Czech Village, and even Coe! It was a clear day and everyone took out their phones to snap a photo from the top. After chit chatting and rehydrating, it was time to head back down the hill.

It was a lot more fun than going up. While I was constantly braking, the wind helped keep the bugs away and cool me off after biking up! 

I arrived back at Newbo, hot and sweaty, with several new bug bites to prove it. I thought about biking home and cooking dinner, but decided to treat myself to something from the market. Upon a friend recommendation, I went to the Caribbean Kitchen. I ordered a Billy Goat wrap with their homemade pineapple coconut lemonade. I took my food outside and saw a few friends from Coe. We chatted while I ate my meal (SO DELICIOUS, highly recommend). With a full stomach, I put my bike helmet back on and made my way back to Coe. 

Meet Me at the Market has been by far one of my favorite parts of this summer. I'm headed back there on Thursday and I believe this time I'll get a free t-shirt! Woot woot!  

0 comments: