6.13.2012

#weeklywednesdaywisdom: Hello!

Dear Freshman,

Hi! If you haven't read my blog before, my name is Hailley and I'll be a junior this year. I'm an English major with minors in French and Writing hailing from Mt. Horeb, WI. On campus, I work as a consultant in the Writing Center, a tour guide for Admissions, play the clarinet in the band and take private lessons with Dr. Carson, am the managing editor of the Coe Review, the Treasurer for Student Senate, a member of Alpha Nu Literary Society and Off Stage Players, and of course, go to class and do my homework! I came to Coe for a variety of reasons such as the community atmosphere and the English department opportunities (the literary publications and experiences such as New York Term).

This summer has been quite busy so far. I spent 26 days in England on one of Coe's May Terms. If you go through any of my May posts, you can read about all the adventures I had. Now I'm back on campus working in Admissions and helping Professor Eichhorn get the First Year Seminar program ready for when you arrive on campus in August.

Which brings me to the point of these weekly features: to get you ready and excited for orientation and Coe in general. Although two years have flown by, I can still vividly remember my orientation week. I moved into Murray Hall on a Sunday, participated in a Writing Center orientation, and then met the rest of my incoming class on a Tuesday in late August. I was in an FYS class entitled: A Tempestuous Season, taught by Professor Eichhorn. The class was all about the 2008 financial recession and although way outside my humanities major, it was one of the best classes I've had on campus thus far. During orientation week, I went late night ice skating, made a bunch of new friends, played racquet ball in the Clark Racquet Center, and fell asleep instantly every night because I was so tired. For me, orientation week was the perfect transition from summer into college life.

But I'm getting ahead of myself. It's only June and having recently graduated from high school, I'm sure you are ready to enjoy your summer. Enjoy it. But I'll be here, posting every Wednesday with information that you might find helpful as you get ready to come to campus. Don't be afraid to comment on my posts and ask questions; I'd love to answer them. Throw whatever you are wondering at me, I'm ready! If you don't feel comfortable publicly posting your question, I'll also be accepting questions at my email: hmfargo@coe.edu. So ask away!

As you probably know, the theme of this year's orientation is Twitter. I myself was pretty skeptical about Twitter at first but I got my own account this past year to follow Student Senate. And then I really got into it, especially the hashtags. So although this would be SO many tweets, I'll end with some classic hashtags.

I'm so glad you chose Coe and I'm excited for your journey to begin in August.

#getready
#firstyearswag
#gettoknowhailley
#sendmeyourquestions
#weeklywednesdaywisdom

0 comments: