6.29.2013

Staying active this summer!

The weather is heating up in Cedar Rapids and so I have to find ways to keep myself cool and moving. Lucky for me, there are lots of inside and outside activities to keep me busy when I'm not working.

It wasn't until last summer that I discovered the magic of Coe's natatorium (aka pool). I loved swimming last summer and decided it must be an essential part of this summer. I am also fortunate to live with three other people who enjoy swimming! The last couple of weeks, Hayleigh, Millie, (and sometimes Anna) will meet up when the pool opens at night and swim for about an hour. Hayleigh and I do intervals and it helps to have someone next to me, pushing me to swim faster and harder. It makes for a super workout. We finish our swim with about ten minutes of treading water in the deep end. We like to chat while we tred and unwind. It's a really nice way to end our day.

Millie and I have also played some tennis at the Clark Racquet Center. Millie played in high school and for a year on Coe's tennis team, so we play short court. I'm making progress, which is good and maybe by the end of the summer, I'll be able to play long court with her! Millie also likes to play with our friend, Kyle, who also played in high school. They played the other day and I sat outside, soaking in the sun, cheering them on, and reading a book.

The sand volleyball court has been retaining a lot of water, so volleyball hasn't been happening very much. But, with the sun and lack of rain, the "pond" is getting smaller and hopefully this weekend we can play a few pick up games.

It's nice to be so active this summer. During the school year, I get bogged down by schoolwork and club commitments and it gets difficult to stay active. I'm hoping that if I stay busy this summer, I can carry those habits over to my senior year!

0 comments: