1.28.2011

Blood Drive Friday

Well today I did something new...donated blood!  The Coe Dance Team sponsored the drive and it was the second one of the school year.  I have a special connection to blood drives; since I was Student Council president back in my high school I was in charge of organizing our annual blood drive.  A lot of hard work but also a lot of fun.  But since I organized and then help run the drive, I couldn't donate because I probably wouldn't have the best reaction to it after running around all day.  Then, I tried giving in October but failed the iron test.  Armed with multivitamins, spinach, red meat, beans, and no caffeine, I attempted to donate today.

With a fantastic iron count I was ready to go.  Barb set me up and with help from Tracy (a good old Wisconsin gal) they found my tiny vein in my left arm.  At first, it was a little slow but with careful rearrangement of the needle, we got the blood really flowing.  Once I was done, I helped myself to some water and Nutter Butters (which I hadn't had in FOREVER).  And volia, I just donated blood.

I can't tell you what a fantastic feeling I had seeing my blood in that bag.  It was a feeling of satisfaction, pride, and joy.  I've always wanted to give blood because I know the impact it can have on someone's life.  Just knowing that I am helping someone makes me feel really good.

Well I best be off and get my heavy weight lifting in for the day or maybe some strenuous activities.....oh wait, I can't do that, I JUST DONATED BLOOD.  Hahaha, I felt I needed to say that since they always tell you that after donating. :)

0 comments: