1.29.2011

New Work Study : Stewart Memorial Library

Stewart Memorial Library
If you haven't heard, I was transferred from the cafeteria work study to the library.  I was thrilled about the move and now after a few hours of orientation, I'm working there about seven hours a week.  This work study is perfect for me; I'm able to learn even more about the library and help make it a better place for the students!  I always feel like I'm in my element when I work at the library.  The biggest thing I've started to learn about is the call system we use.  When I worked at my public library back home, our books were shelved via the Dewey Decimal System.  You could ask me where a subject matter is and I could probably tell you the general number if not the specific number where you could find it.  But Coe's library doesn't use the Dewy system, instead they use the Library of Congress System.  This one is a bit more complicated in my book.  Here's a link to some basic information about the system if you're interested: http://geography.about.com/library/congress/blhowto.htm.  Pretty much there are more letters and numbers you have to look at to shelve books and all the books, fiction and nonfiction are shelved under the same system (unlike in the Dewy Decimal system where the fiction books are shelved separately by author's last name).  It's taking some getting use to but I'm picking up quick.

So I'm loving the library and now confidently know all the nooks and crannies of this place.  I promise I'll put a video up about the library soon because I want everyone to see one of my favorite places on campus! :)

0 comments: