3.23.2012

Iowa City Adventure!

On Thursday night, myself and some other members of Alpha Nu ventured to Iowa City for a reading.  Iowa City is a neat town, especially since it's a college town.  The college is a part of the city and the city is a part of the town.  There's a bookstore downtown that is beautiful called Prairie Lights.  They usually offer readings once or twice a week.  Alpha Nu decided to check one of them out.  The author was Kevin Mofett, who had just published another collection of short stories.  When we were there, we ran into Gordon, one of my favorite professors on campus, who said that Mofett taught for one semester at Coe about five or so years ago. 

Mofett's reading was hilarious.  His voice is strong and distinct.  I was laughing for most of the reading.  After about 45 minutes of one of his stories, he answered questions from the audience.  Then the reading was over.  The Alpha Nu gang meandered around the store and of course, many of us found something.  I picked up a book all about sonnets.  Yes, you may laugh at how nerdy that sounds.  But after my English Renaissance Poetry, History of English Literature, and Literary Analysis classes, poems are fascinating to me, especially sonnets.  This book talks about sonnets, has sonnets talking about sonnets, and also goes from the 16th century to the 20th century featuring some of the best sonnets of the time.  It was a bargain book and overall, a good deal.

I came back to Coe, energized and refreshed.  I love readings like that, because it inspires me to write, and refuels me to keep up with my schoolwork.  A good way to end the week. 

0 comments: