2.01.2011

Coe Review and Alpha Nu : Two New Adventures!

A resolution I had for this semester was to become more involved.  So far, I'm right on track!  First, I joined the Coe Review.  Coe Review publishes two issues a year: poetry in the fall and fiction in the spring.  Anyone can submit to Coe Review and after we're read all the stories, we pick out the best ones and make a book.  Coe Review was actually one of the reasons I came to Coe.  Since I'm an English and Creative Writing major, this is right up my alley.  The advisor for Coe Review is Gordon Mennenga who is also my Honors Composition teacher.  Coe Review meets on Monday nights in Hickok.  I'll keep you updated as the release dates draws nearer.

The other club I joined was Alpha Nu.  It's not a sorority but instead a literature society.  We meet on Tuesday nights and talk about literature, movies, and other stuff.  Next week, we are traveling to Prarire Lights, a bookshop in Iowa City, to hear poems by Elizabeth Bishop.  Although Bishop has passed away, next Tuesday would be her 100th birthday so they are having a reading/birthday celebration.  Many of the Alpha Nu members are Writing Center consultants as well so it's nice to get to know them better.

So, those are two new things I'm up to.  Still waiting to hear about open Senate seats.  As usual, I will keep you up to date! :)

2 comments:

Jordan M. said...

I'm going to Coe next year. :) this is exactly why I picked Coe! The Coe Review and Alpha Nu sounded like so much fun, and I want to get into publishing after college.

Unknown said...

AHH! Congrats on making your college choice! I'm so glad you're coming to Coe! Have a great rest of your senior year and I hope to see you on campus soon! :)