2.21.2011

Go Coe Athletics!

Okay so I've been feeling bad I haven't made time to support my fellow peers in their sports.  At my high school I was a faithful boys' soccer and basketball fan.  I've been missing that sporting atmosphere after checking a few basketball games at my high school over Winter Break.  I'd gotten an email that there was a basketball game on Saturday as well as a tennis match so I decided to check them out.  I even watched part of a swim meet on Friday night because Haley's RA was competing and she wanted a buddy.  Surprisingly, I had never been in the natatorium before so it was a nice first.  The pool is very nice with adequate seating for all the fans.

I had the most fun at the basketball game.  Coming from a high school where a fantastic pep band is all part of the basketball atmosphere, I diligently attended almost every home game in high school.  To tell the truth, I was missing basketball and felt bad I hadn't checked out a game until now.  Coe is part of the Iowa Intercollegiate Athletic Conference (IIAC) composed of Buena Vista, Central, Coe (duh), Cornell, Dubuque, Loras, Luther, Simpson, and Wartburg.  The basketball team took on Dubuque and it was a tight game.  Unfortunately, rebounding and making baskets in general were a little weak and the boys lost 66-71.  The gym was pretty full and I sat next to some Coe parents and older students who were friendly and excellent at small talk.  Overall, a lovely experience.  I know the boys play again on Thursday so I'm hoping I can make it.

I also went to the tennis match against Central.  Tennis match atmosphere is MUCH different than the basketball atmosphere I had just come from.  The gym for basketball is buzzing with chatter, music, squeaks of gym shoes, cheering, coaching, whistles, clapping, and more.  At tennis it is absolutely silent.  No fans talk to each other, their eyes solely focusing on the match in front of them.  There's no official scoreboard to know who's winning so turning your head for one second makes it hard to know how the Coe player is doing.  There is cheering in between points but it's short and to the point.  But, no matter how silent the match was, I was glad I could go to support my peers.

0 comments: