2.27.2011

Jazz Summit

This Friday and Saturday the campus was filled with aspiring young jazz musicians.  Why were they here?  Well Coe's Music Department hosts a Jazz Summit every year (the Summit began in 1992).  Middle and High school jazz bands travel to Coe's campus to play their music and receives critique from judges.  Because I'm part of the Concert Band I had to help out with the event which runs on the volunteer efforts of all the Coe Music students and Sinfonia (the music fraternity).  I had two shifts on Friday, one at 6:30 AM and one at 2:00 PM.  Both went well and it was fun meeting and helping out the bands.  On Saturday, there was even more jazz and the big finale was a concert featuring the Coe College Jazz Band and two guest artists.  I was unable to go to the concert but I'm sure it was fantastic.  Overall Jazz Summit was full of musical energy and it gave a lot of young musicians the opportunity to hear and perform jazz!

0 comments: