8.02.2011

Kohawk Art Work

I don't know if I've ever formally introduced my sister, Hannah, on my blog.  She's going to be 15 soon and will be a ninth grader this fall.  But the reason I'm telling you about her is because not only is she a good sister but a FANTASTIC artist as well.  So fantastic that she made me a little something to put in my room this fall.  Something so original and yet so Coe that I'm sure there will be jealous peers when they see it in my room.  By now you're probably wondering what it is, right?  Check out the photo below:


It's a Kohawk sign!  Beautiful isn't it?  But what exactly is a kohawk?  Excellent question.  The story goes something like this...


Once upon a time (1922 to be exact) the student body at Coe had to vote on a mascot.  Whatever student came up with the winning mascot received a Coe blanket as a prize.  The top three names were Trojans, Rangers, and Ramblers.  When those names were put to a vote the needed majority of 315 student votes weren't reached.  Some thought Coe would never have a mascot.  It wasn't until a professor in the German department, Professor C.W. Perkins, brought the Kohawk to the drawing board that the students knew a mascot was on the way.  Perkins liked hawks since Iowa was the Hawkeye State.  He chose "ko" because it meant "like the" in Native American.  Put it all together and you have "like the hawks."  And thus, Charlie the Kohawk was born.  The student body approved this mascot in November 1922.
  
Now I have my OWN Charlie to display proudly in my room.  Isn't my sister fantastic?

A close up view


Story of Charlie the Kohawk found here.
  

0 comments: