9.06.2011

Cedar Lake Walk

One of the classes I'm taking is Cultural Studies; it is taught by Dr. Bob and it is also known as the Walking Essay class.  We are looking at the culture that surrounds us and other cultures we haven't experienced yet.  This class also gives me the opportunity to explore other areas of Cedar Rapids.  Our first walk was around Coe and we discussed the various expansion plans the college had and it was fascinating to think about how things would have looked if certain plans had followed through.  Our second walk was the Dairy Queen which is only a couple of blocks away.  During that walk I learned a lot about the various types of trees we encountered and it was also interesting to observe the houses that are basically in Coe's backyard (the northeast side of campus).

My third walk was a walk I went on with Haley.  It was to Cedar Lake.  Around the lake there is a walking and biking path.  Haley and I were lucky to have such a beautiful day to complete our walk.  It was easy to get there -- we simply walked northeast on Center Point Road and then took a left at J Avenue.  Once we got there we started on the paved path but eventually ventured off onto a foot path to see the Cedar Lake and to take some pictures.  Haley is a photographer and wanted to do a photo shoot in conjunction with our walk.  The photos turned out great (see some of them below) and one even ended up as my new blog photo!

Our walk ended up being two hours.  It was nice to talk to Haley and I wrote down a lot of great material I hope to use in my essay.  It was nice to see the Cedar Lake and I hope to go back there soon before the weather turns too cold!










0 comments: