4.12.2011

Admitted Students Weekend Recap

Last weekend, the campus was swarmed by high school seniors who are accepted to Coe.  The Writing Center held their Fellowship Competition which brought back some good memories.  When I came a year ago, I met Heidi, a fair amount of the current consultants, really saw the Writing Center, and had a good time.  Unfortunately, I couldn't do an overnight because I had a band show in Mt. Horeb on that Friday night, so my day was jammed pack.  Just remembering the day brought back a lot of good memories and I was psyched to meet our future consultants.

After class, I helped out with the competition by simply talking to our prospective consultants and seeing if they can carry a conversation and if I think they would fit in with our clan.  I met some great people and I'm excited to see who ends up being in the Writing Center.

I was suppose to host a student, but unfortunately she wasn't feeling well and left early.  There was lots to do on campus: Sean Kingston performed, the play Twilight: Los Angeles, 1992 opened, a game night, and a variety of other clubs hosted events.  On Saturday there were more information sessions and a hopping organizational fair.  Hopefully all the students had a good time.  If Coe is the place for you, I hope I see you here next fall!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi:) Is there any way for a first year student to become a Writing Center consultant at Coe without having gone to Admitted Student weekend? I am an admitted student but I live eleven hours away and gas money was just too high for me to make the drive up to Iowa.
- Jaimie B

Unknown said...

Jamie B,

It is possible to become a Writing Center consultant without making the trek to Cedar Rapids on Admitted Students Weekend. Option one: you would be able to do a phone or Skpye interview with Dr. Bob (the Writing Center advisor). Option two: if you aren't offered a Fellowship your first year, you could talk to Dr. Bob and interview for a work study position that would start at the beginning of your sophomore year.

Let me know if you have any other questions! :)

- Hailley

Anonymous said...

Awesome! Thanks for commenting back so soon :) How would I go about setting up a phone interview with Dr. Bob?

- Jaimie B

Unknown said...

I would send an email to Dr. Bob (rmarrs@coe.edu) and explain your situation, but I can't guarantee an interview though. I know he was making decisions but I don't know his timeline. But it doesn't hurt to ask.

- Hailley