4.17.2011

Budget and Finance Day 2011

Bright and early on Saturday morning I made my way over to Stuart for Budget and Finance Day 2011.  It's an all day affair for every organization on campus.  Pretty much what goes down is Senate doles out money to support the organizations next semester.  The money comes from the Student Activity every Coe student pays yearly.  The Budget and Finance Committee is made up of Senate members like myself: during the semester we approve or deny supplementary allocations (fondly known as sup alls) for clubs who would like more money to do things during the semester.  On Saturday, the treasurers came in, asked for a certain amount of money, explained the justification, and did some trimming because we are running on a tight budget.  It was a long day and by the end, the committee members' fuses were short and wordy treasurers were asked to cut to the chase. But it's all worth it in the end: students are gaining an understanding of budgets and the Senate members are learning about negotiation and how to balance a budget. What I like about it is that I can see where the money is going, I have some say on how the money will be split, and I know what to expect from the organizations in the coming semester.  It's all done now, and we won't have another one until next semester...boy oh boy I can't wait.

0 comments: