4.05.2011

Why Are They Not Wearing Shoes?

TOMS
If you walked around campus today, you would have found students walking around in just their bare feet.  I mean it was a nice day but no shoes?  You might think those students were crazy.  Unless you knew what those shoe-less feet meant.  Today, April 5th, was One Day Without Shoes, an event hosted by Toms, a shoe company where every pair of shoes bought provides another pair of shoes to a child in need.  Coe's Human Rights Club (newly created by the way) supported the day by encouraging their club members and other Coe students and staff to give up the comfort of their shoes for one day.  The club is hoping their first attempt at supporting this event gains some publicity, and they really want to plug the event next year once the club is off and running.  I tried the no shoes, and it was definitely different.  When I was about to leave my room, I had to tell myself I didn't need anything else, I was set to go.  Got a fair amount of weird looks and can only hope more people participate next year.  Couldn't do it the entire day though.  Tuesdays are my busy days and I couldn't go everywhere I wanted on campus with no shoes.  It's a great cause though and I'm excited to see what other events the Human Rights Club will do.

0 comments: