5.18.2012

I am now the Compass Queen!

Before leaving for this trip, my dad made sure I was outfitted with the best supplies to be fully prepared for my trip. He got me a lovely compass/thermometer/whistle combo. I've been using it since my arrival in Chapel Stile but it got its best workout today as we hiked to two different tarns.

Usually on group hikes, Dr. Bob leads, or points us in the right direction. Today, he gave us a map and said, "We are looking for Langdale Tarn and Blea Tarn. Get us there." As everyone shied away from the map, I brandished my compass and grabbed the map. Once I knew where we were, I figured out the best way to get to tarn number one. "This way!" I cried and although feeling the urge to blow the whistle, I kept it silent. And off we went.

With my compass and handy-dandy map, I trailblazed the way to both tarns. I self-appointed myself the nickname of Compass Queen, although I'm sure my fellow classmates view me more as the Mom of the group.

Both tarns were beautiful, once we conquered the hills that went with them! It ended up being a nice day, despite the fact it was spitting rain when we left Elterwater at 9:30 AM. We had lunch overlooking Blea Tarn and then returned to our cottage. In a little bit, we'll be having supper at Wainwright's Pub in celebration of our last day here. Packing must happen tonight so that tomorrow, we can head over to Grasmere where we will be spending the next two weeks.

Overall, a little sore. If I had to guess, I've hiked somewhere around 10 miles each day. I think today was tough for everyone; most people took a nap once we got back. Tomorrow and Sunday should be pretty easy days and allow our bodies to recover. But besides being a little sore, I am still loving it here. Best. May Term. Ever.

0 comments: