4.18.2013

Becoming a City Slicker: Reflections on New York Term 2013

I'm honestly not entirely sure how I wanted to start this reflection. I thought one was in order to sum up my experience. To funnel my passion for this program and the experiences I've had the past four months into one post. But, as I page through the 85 blog posts I wrote (almost one per day!) I feel like my excitement for what I was doing leaps off the screen!

Nevertheless, you know I love to write and one of my most valuable Writing Center training lessons was that reflection is key (thanks Dr. Bob!). So here I go.

I've wanted to do New York Term before I even knew I would become a Kohawk. I'm pretty sure someone plugged the program to me when I was on campus during Iowa's Private College Week. I thought it was sort of a crazy program; go to New York? But nevertheless, I saw the immense advantages for doing this as a "domestic study abroad" option. An internship would give me experience and connections and the cultural events were an added bonus and thrill. Of course, exploring a big city like NYC was very attractive to me. I had been there only a couple of times and felt there was still so much to see.

My five semesters at Coe (aka two and a half years) were building up to New York Term. It was something Gina and I had blocked off in my schedule and worked around. Needless to say, I was a little nervous when I moved into the Hotel Belleclaire back in January. I had put such high expectations on this program and only wanted it to go well. Through a somewhat crazy turn of events, I had secured two internships, one at the New York Public Library (my dream come true!) and the other at The Paley Center for Media.

New York Term exceeded my expectations. Some of my favorite moments of the term were ordinary moments. The moments where I left the hotel at 8:11 AM to walk down to the B train on 72 Street and Central Park West. I would look up at the skyscrapers rising around me and smile. It was my goofy grin, when I'm happy and pleased with where I am.

I became a "city slicker," or a semi-knowledgeable New Yorker. People asked me for directions and I got to the point where I knew where to get on to the subway to get off at the right street at my final destination. I avoided the crowded and touristy #1 train and preferred adventures to Brooklyn and the cash-only Thai restaurant than flashy and loud Times Square with the chain restaurants I knew too well.

My internships were everything I could have wanted. Both places gave me the ability to explore and grow as an employee. My drive to do well and go above and beyond expectations most definitely paid off. Both internships did not confine me to the office cubicle; they pushed me out into the city. Not only did I gain valuable experience, but I also gained several mentors who want to succeed and who I will keep in touch with over the years.

The cultural side of the term was once again, above expectations. I can't say enough good things about the five professors I've worked with. Each one is passionate about their area and are well-connected in those social circles in NYC. Walking into a performance space always prompted an introduction of the ten of us as our professor chatted with a casual acquaintance. While writing responses wasn't always the most fun, they helped me think critically and analyze what I had just seen. And we saw such varying events, there was no way we could ever be bored.

Finally, NYC gave me so many things I wasn't expecting. I got to spend a good chunk of time with my family in New Jersey, which I am so thankful for. What's great about NYC is that it's a city that keeps on giving. I don't think you could spend a day here and not find something new and exciting. Every day became an adventure and when I found something cool and interesting, I gave myself a little pat on the back. My curiosity always rewarded me.

New York Term changed me for the better. By the end of the program, I moved confidently through the city. It was as if I had been riding an express subway train from January until April; everything was moving and I was part of the action. Finally, as the train stopped and I climbed up the steps, I entered a whole new world above ground. As I look out on the horizon, my senior year and beyond holds so much. I know NYC played an integral part of this horizon and that makes me so happy. Senior-in-high-school Hailley is smiling at this new girl and knows she is going to go far. 

0 comments: