4.08.2013

The Last Weekend

WHAT?!?!

It didn't really hit me until I was writing this post that Sunday was my last Sunday in NYC. I feel like I'm a broken record when I say this, but I just can't believe. The months have FLOWN by and next Saturday I'll be on a flight back to the Midwest.

Anywho, I had a wonderful last weekend in the city. Saturday the group headed to Queens (Astoria to be exact) to have one final film event with Alan. We ended up watching several short film selections from the 2012-2013 Rural Route Film Festival.

This is actually a festival that Alan founded. Alan is a Coe grad (from a small town in Iowa) and so this festival is sort of a shout out to the Midwest. All the films in this festival have a common setting: rural.

The films were excellent and each girl got to take home a DVD with 11 films. I can't wait to show others and I definitely want to follow some of these directors and see if they make any other films.

After Alan's, I headed to the Schwarzman's Library to do more Mary Robinson research. On Saturday, I looked at two letters written by Robinson and one written by her daughter, Maria. Robinson had beautiful but somewhat messy handwriting. It was amazing to hold this letter in my hands. One of the letters still had her seal intact. Of course, I was silently geeking out and so happy I got the opportunity to view these letters. I have no idea if I can use these letters in my thesis but I guess it's more of "Look at what I saw" as opposed to "This is how I will use these letters."

Sunday morning rolled around and I finally started packing. I will have to send some things home since I'll be taking an airplane back to the Midwest and not driving.

My break from packing was taking a bus with Whitney and Alison to Ensemble Studio Theater for their monthly Youngblood Brunch. This is my third time at EST and my second brunch. The theme this time around was WOMEN with the title of "I Am Woman, Hear Me Brunch."

The food was fantastic and so were the one-act plays. The plays were written by women and the actors were only women. The audience ate the theme up and it was a perfect way to spend my afternoon.

I returned to the hotel for more packing and finishing up my final responses. My entire document of responses ended up being 67 pages long and covered 38 events.

Woah.

Now begins my final week in the city. I'm working at the library Monday through Wednesday and at the Paley Center on Friday. I have Thursday off to finish packing and tie up any loose ends. I know this week will fly by and I'm excited yet sad that my time in NYC is almost over for now.

0 comments: