4.04.2013

The Music of Motown

Every term, the group gets to attend one musical. It's sort of funny that I started my time in NYC with a musical (The Newsies) and now am sort of ending the term with Motown: The Musical. We saw it on Tuesday night.

Also, at the beginning of the term, I might have been a little disappointed about not seeing more musicals. I remember musicals being an important part of my high school experience. Our HUGE fall event in high school was a musical. I was a proud chorus member of Oklahoma (that's why I'm so good at spelling it [insert sarcasm here]) and then played clarinet in the pit for Bye, Bye Birdie, Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat, and Beauty and the Beast. I also have a soft spot for The Music Man and Guys and Dolls.

Anywho, I'm getting WAY off topic. Where was I? Oh yes, musicals. Before becoming a semi-permanent New Yorker, I thought musicals were a big deal.

Not true.

Susan has taken us to some AMAZING theater and I've realized musicals are mainly just for tourists. Nothing wrong with musicals, I still love them, but I'm now craving theater much, much more.

But back to Motown. This musical was still in previews and was pretty high energy. It follows the story of the founder of Motown (the record company for those who don't know) Berry Gordy. The show is pushed forward by the music and these songs are ones everyone knows. There ended up being very little dialogue and more song and dance.

I also can't write this blog post without including some songs from the Motown era. Here are my two favorites....

First off, the Jackson's Five I Want You Back



And then Stevie Wonder's Signed, Sealed, Delivered



Guess who will be listening to Motown the next couple of weeks? This girl.

So a successful musical for the trip. Now just have to wrap that energy into a response!

0 comments: