4.11.2013

"What?!? It can't be your LAST day!" Saying goodbye to NYPL (for now!)

When I walked into the Mid-Manhattan branch on Wednesday morning a little before 9 AM, a wave of nostalgia hit me. As my shoes clinked on the title as I walked towards the staff elevator  I had a hard time believing this was the last time.

It couldn't be.
But it was.

I couldn't help but remember back to my very first day. I had no idea where I was suppose to go or who exactly I was looking for. I wandered up to the mezzanie and tentatively said I was there to see Nick Higgins. The lady behind the desk steered me towards the staff elevators but didn't say much. And when I got up to the sixth floor, I had no clue where I was going. I stumbled into Louise and she showed me to Nick's cube.

Nick was upbeat and friendly, logging me into the computer that would become mine for the next several months and handing me a hot off the press copy of Connections 2013 as a way to aclimate myself to correctional services. That very first day I wrote countless letters to prisoners and learned all about marriage proxy laws.

My first day ended with meeting and listening to Denny Meyer, one of the veterans who's story I would get to know. Denny was interesting and full of life; he is truly an advocate. The interview ended up being two hours long and suddenly, it was 5 PM.

I had no idea that this somewhat atypical first day would turn into the cornerstone event of this term.

Over the next three months, I would build myself into the community outreach department. I sort of took over the Veteran History Project, created a book discussion group, started a Music & Memory drive, wrote several blog posts for NYPL's website, and get to know some fantastic people. Brigid and I went on several adventures to the Bronx and attended workshops I would have never attended on my own. I spent time with Sarah, a passionate Correctional Services librarian who loves a good drawing and was always so much fun to talk to about libraries, librarians, or our lives in general. And then of course, there was Nick, my boss. A great boss who wants to do everything he can, even if time doesn't allow him to do so. Nick was always there for a "good job" or "keep up the good work." He gaves me ideas of where he sort of wanted a project to go and then let me take it on and discover my own way for the project.

And now I'm back to Wednesday. As I went through my usual tasks, I knew it would be the last time I was doing it. I was definitely bummed.

Around 3 PM, Nick brought me into his office and the whole crew was there with goodies. They threw me a party! It was so sweet and so thoughtful. We sat around for about 45 minutes talking about my term and telling random stories. They had sort of become my library family and I appreciated every one of them.

Then it was back to work; well, more like I met with Nick and passed off all the information I had complied together for the Veterans History Project for the person who fills my shoes.

And I was done. Hugs were shared and I promised I would keep in touch.
Which I will. Obviously.

This internship was nothing what I expected but everything I needed, if that makes any sense. I was fortunate enough to be surrounded by passionate librarians who supported me and continued to affirm my decision to become a librarian. They wanted to see my succeed and helped me however they could. I couldn't have asked for better people.

0 comments: