4.12.2013

"I will tweet no more": The last day at the Paley Center

Okay, that title isn't entirely accurate.
I will still tweet. Can't keep me away from Twitter (for better or for worse).

But it was my last day at the Paley Center. I took my usual and reliable B train to work. It was moderately raining and very very windy. Luckily, my umbrella withstood the wind and I made it safe and sound to the Paley Center.

I spent the day watching PaleyFest clips and pulling quotes and facts for promotion materials. It seemed appropriate to work on PaleyFest today since that's been a huge part of my internship this semester. I also have fallen in love with PaleyFest and therefore, more than willing to watch clips.

About an hour before I was done, Marni and I headed over to the Starbucks across the street for some coffee and afternoon snack. We then chatted, about my internship and my experience in the city. It was so nice to have some time to just talk to Marni.

While I only worked one day a week at the Paley Center, it was still a memorable and outstanding internship. Social media was something I had begun to pick up and enjoy using it. I try to not let it consume my life and instead, use it to my advantage to spread my thoughts and passions and learn about others. My social media internship at the Paley Center opened my eyes to how social media works at an institution. It's much more structured than my daily tweets and there truly is strategy involved. Not only did I write tweets and Facebook posts, I was able to dig into the software that the Paley Center uses to schedule tweets and analyze our social media footprint.

Another great thing about my internship was that it allowed me expand my passion for TV. What helped me become a good intern was how I dug into the shows that were going to be panels at PaleyFest. I ended up becoming a loyal fan of The Mindy Project, New Girl, and Nashville while continuing my commitment to The Big Bang Theory. Knowing the ins and outs of these shows allowed me to write successful tweets and wade through all the social media out there once PaleyFest was under way.

Just like NYPL, the Paley Center internship was an excellent fit. I worked with great people and couldn't have asked for a better boss in Marni. They were incredibly flexible with my schedule. It was a wonderful way to spend my Fridays this semester. I will definitely be keeping in touch with them all and livestreaming any of their events when I can (you should do, especially if you're a Mad Men fan, they have an event coming up soon!).

0 comments: