2.19.2013

Brooklyn at Night, Bronx in the Morning

Seems like I have this "opposites in the titles" rut going on, so bear with me.

Monday night, Whitney and I ventured to Brooklyn for dinner. Yes, that might seem a little unnecessary (since it's about an hour subway ride) but we needed to go to Target and Brooklyn has a pretty nice one.

When we got off at Atlantic Avenue, we were unsure of exactly where we wanted to eat. We started to wander and ended up going on a hearty walk. I really like Brooklyn, several areas remind me of downtown Madison. I can actually see myself living there in the future.

The restaurant we found was called Joya. It was Thai and it was DELICIOUS. I accidentally ordered red curry without fully realizing that was the spiciest  My taste buds were in for a shock at first, but by the end, they were use to it. And, I can't pass up curry.

Exploring Target post dinner was an excellent idea. But we did end up back in the Upper West Side a little later than initially expected.

I got a few hours of sleep in before waking up bright and early to meet Brigid for another adventure in the Bronx. We started our day with a meeting with local social workers and organizations for the elderly. The main presentation was about being prepared for emergencies (such as Sandy). It was extremely informative and as we were told, there is some information you probably need to think about and write down somewhere for if an emergency strikes. Brigid presented afterwards, explaining services available from the library.

Brigid and I then checked out two other Bronx branches (yeah for exploring) before heading back to the nursing home we had visited in January. There were even more people there for our reading hour and I started things off with a few poems. Brigid followed with short stories aimed at their age group. It was a wonderful afternoon and it was so nice to see some of the same people again.

I returned to the hotel, exhausted. So I took a night off, watched the season finale of Downton Abbey (holy cow), and now am going to bed. And it's only TUESDAY. I have a feeling this is going to be a really good week.

0 comments: