2.09.2013

Snowstorm Central

The meteorologists were right; the East Coast was in for a big storm. After my last post, the snow continued to fall. Our event was still on, so we trucked towards downtown to New York Arts Live. It was a lovely place, full of history. At six, we went up to the third floor to see Walter Dundervill. He is currently a resident artist at NY Arts Live and part of their requirement to complete the residency is to have a small performance. Walter chose to do this studio series early in his creative process, allowing someone to see the final result of this dance, "Litter," and see the progress from this initial performance.

The performance was modern dance and unique. Walter is known for his costuming (Patricia is actually a former dancer of Walter's) and it was beautiful, especially in the second half of the dance, with long flowing fabrics with one color on one half and then bleeding into another color for the other half. Walter himself was even in the dance, but I'm not sure if that was because they were missing one of their dancers or, like Rainer, Walter enjoys being part of dance.

Around 7:15 PM, a talk-back began with Walter and his dancers. We were just starting to get into the good stuff when we had to leave. The second dance performance we were seeing was beginning at 7:30 PM in the space downstairs.

The second performance was "Mechanics of a Dance Machine" by Karole Armitage. This lady was actually born in Madison, Wisconsin (woot woot!). I had only one word for this performance:

STUNNING.

Seriously. It was a perfect mix between the elements of classical ballet and modern dance. The dancers were in tip-top shape; not only because it was about an hour long, but because they were wearing swim-suit like clothes and you could clearly see their muscles. Red was the theme of the performance, from the red lights above the dancers to the single red stripe found in the women's outfits. The dancers moved their bodies in ways I didn't think were possible. It was by far my favorite dance performance and I'm actually thrilled to write my response for it.

When we got done, it was still snowing out. Whitney and Ashley hadn't eaten dinner yet so we swung by a pizza place. It was delicious (I purchased some garlic knots) and then we trekked back to the hotel. Penn Station (where I would have taken a train to NJ) shut down at 8 PM, so I was out of luck for the night. The trains are still down this morning so I'll either just make a day trip there tomorrow or wait until the weekend of the 22nd (I have Friday night, Saturday, and Sunday free so EXTRA long weekend).

I woke up this morning to LOTS of snow. Central Park (two blocks from my hotel) was recorded having 11.4 inches. It's heavy snow, mushy in the streets but pretty sitting on top of the cars so we'll see how fast they will clean it up.

I've decided to use this as a working weekend. I'm planning on writing my responses for events I saw this week, applying for a few scholarships for the upcoming senior year, and getting a few blog posts set up for YOU, my reader. I've almost gathered all the information on the other girls on this trip, so you can see what they're doing. Also, next weekend will mark the three-year anniversary of my second trip to Coe (during Scholarship Weekend). This was an influential visit and one of my favorite weekends to be at Coe, so I'm a little sad I won't be there to meet some prospective students.

Well, I better go enjoy the snow. I shouldn't really complain about this snow because I talked to my dad last night and said Mt. Horeb was blessed with falling snow for nine straight days. Wow! Got to love Wisconsin.

0 comments: