2.21.2013

Wednesday and Thursday Recap

Here's what has been happening in my life.

Wednesday: A busy day at the library. I spent the morning working on logistics for the Music and Memory project. I'm pretty sure we found a place to donate the iPods and I'm looking forward to getting some pieces into place. The afternoon was spent really organizing the veteran oral histories and sending off our first group of stories to the Library of Congress.

Wednesday night: Movie night! Alan (our film professor) took us to Sunshine Cinema to see Beasts of the Southern Wild. I've included the trailer:


But before the movie, we swung by the famous Yonah Schimmel Bakery to pick up some knishes. Now, Whitney and I had already tried a potato knish at a food cart in Union Square. We were recommended to do so by our advisor, Gina. While that knish was okay (the man at the cart made up for the averageness of the knish), the knish bakery was excellent. It was quaint little place and the owner helped us at the counter. I selected a blueberry sweet knish, heated it up, and tucked it away in my bag. 

Then it was movie time. The movie was excellent, as it should be, considering it's up for four Oscars. The most exciting nomination is for best actress, Quvenzhane Wallis, who is nine! She plays Hushpuppy and the movie is really her story. The film takes place in Bathtub, an island town in Louisiana. The dialogue is spot on for the location and then Hushpuppy's voiceover is often poetic and poignant. It's really a beautiful film and also emotional. I won't give it away because you should definitely see it! 

Thursday: Today was an unusual free day. Nevertheless, I still woke up early. I cleaned, worked out, and ran a few errands. We had a group meeting in our room around lunchtime so I ordered pizza for the group (free lunch!). Susan lead the meeting and we discussed the two plays we had seen as well as watched a little vaudeville in preparation for an event we are seeing in March.    

Post meeting, Whitney and I ventured to a Starbucks where we have been working. I've been writing some responses and sending some long overdue emails. Whitney, on the other hand, has been applying to jobs! She is planning on staying in the city after the term is over (jealous) and is hoping to secure a job in the next couple of weeks. I'm crossing my fingers! 

Tomorrow will be another day at the Paley Center and then I'll hopefully make it to New Jersey for a weekend with my aunt, uncle, and cousins. I'm really excited and hope the snow stays in the Midwest and doesn't reach the coast! 

0 comments: