2.18.2013

Sleeping In & Staying Up Late

A lovely advantage of New York term is the ability to sleep when I need it. Since I'm not taking four classes and being involved with a bunch of clubs, my work load has decreased tremendously. If I need a break, aka sleep, I can usually squeeze it in.

That was Sunday. I slept in and woke up feeling well rested, definitely one of the best nights of sleep I've gotten in NYC. Whitney and I got ready to greet the day and then headed off.

We ventured to Brooklyn to check out Buy a Bag, a thrift store through Housing Works. I love Housing Works, I think it's a fantastic organization. We found some good deals and then headed to the New York Theater Workshop to see Belleville. Our group was actually split up for this show; five of us saw this play and on Tuesday, the other five will see Who's Afraid of Virginia Wolfe? 

Wow.

That's all I can really say about the play. It was an hour and forty minutes long, no intermission. It was a mind bender and focused on the relationship between a man and woman (Abby and Zack) living in a suburb of Paris. Their relationship sort of explodes and the play ends sadly. No happy ending for Abby and Zack. The play truly moved me.

We stood in the lobby after the show, attempting to articulate what we had just seen. Susan suggested that we head to a Ukrainian restaurant nearby to eat and continue our discussion. I was able to order some pierogi (delicious!) and the five of us and Susan had a fascinating discussion. It really got my gears turning and I know my response will be long (but hopefully really good).

I finally arrived back at the Hotel Belleclaire around 11:30 PM, exhausted. Lucky for me, since it's President's Day today, the library is closed. I'm currently camped out in a coffee shop with Alison P., writing and chatting. It should be a wonderful day.

0 comments: