2.12.2013

The Scoop on the Group


As you know, I'm in NYC with nine other fantastic women from Coe. I would like to highlight them in this post and fill you in on what they're doing and what they are looking forward to this semester. We haven't taken a group picture yet, so the closest I can come is a frame from our animated video we made at The Museum of the Moving Image.  

L to R: Katie, Courtney, Ashley, Jordan, Whitney, and me!


Rina Sato
  • Year: Junior
  • Majors: Film Studies and Communication Studies
  • Hometown: Tokyo, Japan.
  • Internship: Nippon TV (NTV)
  • What she’s doing at her internship:
In NTV, I am translating English into Japanese interesting stories, incidents, or anything Japanese and New Yorkers want to know from newspapers such as The New York Times, The Washington Post, etc. I help to record the economic news report such as stock prices from Wall Street on Mon, Tue, Wed and send feeds to Tokyo Station. I do research and cover some interesting stories in New York later on, too, if my boss thinks my project is interesting enough to be on air. I help other things, too, such as going to the UN and get some information, etc.”
  • Looking forward to in NYC: 
“I am looking forward to make connections or simply meet new people here in New York. But so far, I enjoy just being here and being emerged in a busy city. There are so many opportunities out there. I just love the power of New York City. AND. Food. (OPPORTUNITIES to experience great foods and my home taste, Japanese cuisine.)”

Amy Smith
  • Year: Junior
  • Majors and Minor: Business Administration and Music, Economics (minor)
  • Hometown: Cedar Rapids, IA
  • Internship: Shobha and music lessons with Danson Paul Pollard, Principal Bass Trombonist at the Metropolitan Opera
  • What she’s doing at her internship: 
“I am products/inventory intern at Shobha. I am learning about the fundamentals of inventory and may interact with their marketing and operations team as well. From what I've gathered so far, inventory is a lot more complicated than I thought - getting a product from point A to point B is not always a simple task! The people at Shobha have been extremely welcoming and it is going to be a good place for me!
  • Looking forward to in NYC: 
“My favorite part of the term thus far has been my first lesson with Paul. He took me backstage at the Met Opera and we did an hour of the fundamentals of playing trombone. He was able to watch me play and give me some tips to minimize tension which has made playing much easier and more relaxed this week. He is also extremely kind and knowledgeable and I am eager to see him at work when we go to Carmen later this month!”


Ashley Collom
  • Year: Junior
  • Major and Minors: English, French and Gender Studies (minors)
  • Hometown: Plano, TX
  • Internship: Writers House
  • What she’s doing at her internship: 
“At Writers House I have the opportunity to work in every facet of the publishing industry. I read queries, manuscripts, write editorial letters, readers reports, and rejection letters. I have the opportunity to interact with agents that represent some of the biggest names in the industry including Stephanie Meyer, Neil Gaiman, and John Green.”
  • Looking forward to in NYC: 
“Just being in the city is my favorite part. I love being in a massive group of people, but all the while feeling completely anonymous.”
  • Ashley might not have a blog, but she does love her Twitter. Check out what she’s reading and thinking about! 

Courtney Marti
  • Year: Junior
  • Majors: Theatre and Creative Writing
  • Hometown: Rosemount, MN
  • Internship: HERE Theatre
  • What she’s doing at her internship: 
“I'm a production intern, so I work closely with the Technical Director and Production Manager to attend to all the technical elements of maintaining a professional theatre. HERE has two small black box theatres and tends to favor untraditional and multi-media productions, so most of what I do involves lighting, sound, and video, with a little bit of carpentry.”
  • Looking forward to in NYC: 
“I love being in the city where live theatre HAPPENS! It's unreal to be surrounded with so many great opportunities to grow as an actor, playwright, and theatre artisan! We get to see amazing performances from exceptionally talented artists all the time, and it truly is a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity.”


Alison Polivka
  • Year: Junior
  • Major and Minors: History, Creative Writing and not being on campus (minors)
  • Hometown: Milwaukee, WI (in the land of beer, cheese, and Summerfest)
  • Internship: The Paley Center
  • What she’s doing at her internship: 
“I am working at The Paley Center in the Curatorial Department; I was originally in Visitor Services until they made space for me in Curatorial. The Paley Center used to be called the Museum of Television and Radio, but was renamed after William S. Paley, one of the founders of CBS, in 2007, and it serves as an archive of television and radio programming and advertising. They screen programs and hold panels on current and archived materials; for example, they are having a panel of the writer's of 30 Rock, including Tina Fey, in a couple of weeks.  I've so far spent my time researching documentaries and discussing ideas for screenings aimed at college age women. The CEO of the Paley Center is a woman, Pat Mitchell, and her influence shows in the center's work to bring focus on women creators, programmers, and viewers, which is something that is very important to me.”
  • Looking forward to in NYC: 
“The thing I'm most looking forward to in New York is an exhibition starting on February 26th at the Metropolitan Museum of Art on Impressionism, Fashion, and Modernity, which I have already bought the exhibition book for, because I have no self control. The exhibition, on loan from France, will contain all of my favorite things: impressionism, feathered hats, costume history, as well as a lot of pretty pictures of flowers. I have countdowns on my computer, my phone, and my planner, and I am typing this with the book in my lap. I simply can't bear to let it go.”

Lea Ann Mislevy
  • Year: Junior
  • Majors: Studio Art (printmaking) and Creative Writing (fiction)
  • Hometown: Bartlett, IL
  • Internships: Artist’s Assistant to Kathy Caraccio and intern at Literal Latte
  • What she’s doing at her internship: 
“As Kathy's assistant I am helping make her edition prints for other artists.  I love getting to meet other printmakers from around the world, as well as meet all of Kathy's other interns.  Work changes on a day-to-day basis, so some days I help Kathy print, while other days I am doing inventory.  Everything is very fast paced, and usually has to be done very precisely, but the bottom line is basically following directions.  Also, communication is key.  I love printing days, because you get that rush every time you pull a print from the press.  Instant gratification. 
Literal Latte is much more laid back.  Jenine Bockman, one of the editors, runs the online literary magazine from her home along with her husband.  I go in once a week and deliver/sort their mail, then I take home manuscripts to read, records, and proofreading.  90% of my job can be done at the hotel, coffee shop, park, or museum.  I read short fiction stories, poetry, and personal essays.  The reading is definitely my favorite part...other than playing with the Bockman's dog, Pepper.”


Whitney Hu
  • Year: Seinor
  • Majors: English and Creative Writing 
  • Hometown: Sulphur Springs, TX
  • Internship: Marketing and Event Planning Intern at Spark & Hustle
  • What she’s doing at her internship: 
“Spark and Hustle is a conference for current and aspiring female entrepreneurs created by Tory Johnson. Spark and Hustle is hitting 15 cities this year and in each destination, we like to find prominent business leaders in the area. So far, I've spent time researching possible key notes and panelists. It's exciting because a lot of the speakers I've suggested were booked. On the side, I also do a lot of graphics which can be seen on the Spark and Hustle website.”
  • Looking forward to in NYC: 
“NYC thinks. From art collections, to dances, to music, and plays there are themes that are continued throughout. The people who come here are curious about fugues and how it relates to our lives, dissonance, and how to break the norm. I love how one event unexpectedly intertwines with another and that this city has questions.” 

Jordan Miller
  • Year: Junior
  • Majors: Creative Writing and Theatre
  • Hometown: Flossmoor, IL
  • Internships: Research and Production Intern with Firelight Media and Development Intern with Pressman Films
  • What she’s doing at her internships: 
“Firelight Media is a non-profit organization that produces documentaries about underrepresented people, places, and issues. Currently, we are working on a documentary for PBS’s America Revisited series, called Black Panthers: Seize the Time. With Firelight, I don’t have a set “job” that I work on daily. Rather, I assist in whatever needs doing on a given occasion, ranging from clerical work to storyboard and timeline creation.  
With Pressman, on the other hand, my job typically involves writing daily trades and covering scripts. Pressman is the company that produced films such as The Crow, American Psycho, Party Monster, and Wallstreet. Currently, Pressman Films is producing a film about Joe Paterno, starring Al Pacino. I love working for these companies, as I am learning a great amount about what goes into the making of films.”
  • Looking forward to in NYC: 
“Thus far, my favorite part of the term has been our trip to the Museum of the Moving Image. As I intend to go into filmmaking, I was like a kid in a candy store that day. I definitely intend to return to that Museum (and not just because they have a whole room full of video-games).”


Katie Weingardt
  • Year: Senior
  • Major and Minors: English, Spanish & Creative Writing & Religion minors  
  • Hometown: Littleton, CO
  • Internship: Zachary Shuster Harmsworth Literary Agency 
  • What she’s doing at her internship: 
My duties include shifting through the slush pile, responding to queries, and writing reader’s reports. I love working with the staff and hearing about the upcoming titles in the literary world. Everyone at ZSH is mad about literature, and highly verbose when it comes to potential works that they feel passionately about. Working there feels like a study session with a bunch of coffee-driven English majors. Needless to say, I feel at home.” 
  • Looking forward to in NYC: 
“My favorite part of the Term thus far has been exploring the city, whether that be in search for a theatre venue, or the quest to find the best Japanese barbecue in the Upper West Side. Every street holds surprises, aromatically, aesthetically, and anthropologically speaking.”

0 comments: