2.25.2013

What a Monday! (Plus Weekend Recap)

So I took a little weekend break; I was "at home" essentially and there was no need for a computer or blogging.

My weekend was amazing. I arrived in New Jersey Friday night and after a wonderful home cooked meal, the Vittons surprised me with an early birthday cake (my 21st birthday is Thursday). It was sweet, literally and figuratively.

I spent my Saturday hanging out with my cousins, opening my first birthday gift, watching my cousin play hockey, and watching Moonrise Kingdom with my aunt and uncle. It's a quirky but neat movie. It's a love story and most of the boys are khaki scouts which automatically brought me back to scout days in the Fargo household so what's not to love about that? I should also mention I saw the movie Hitchock Friday night. Another excellent movie about the making of Hitchock's well known Psycho. Now, I really want to watch Psycho since I know the backstory!

Sunday was more relaxing, bagels, frozen yogurt, and hockey (not necessarily together). It was almost like I was back in Wisconsin with my family. Basically, it was exactly what I needed.

I headed back into the city this morning, taking a 7:18 AM train to Penn Station. Arrived in NYC around 8 AM and simply took an uptown subway to Times Square and walked to the library.

Today also happened to be a field trip day so I stopped by the library before heading up to the Met (the art museum) for a panel hosted by MAC (Museum Access Consortium). I had been to one of their programs before, the one about adults on the autism spectrum and their experiences in museums. We were still talking about the autism spectrum except this time it was about children and their experiences in museums  No kids were there, but their parents instead. It was more of a workshop where we had ample time to discuss and question these parents. Since I am not well versed in the programs the library offers children on the spectrum, I spent most of my time listening and gathering information about these kids and their experiences in cultural institutions. Once again, I found the discussion fascinating and really helped me to see how crucial it is for cultural institutions like the library to be able to serve EVERYONE.

Back at the library, I worked on the veterans oral history project. We were able to nab six interviews from the VA in the Bronx so I'm slowly wading my way through them.

On my way home, I placed an order for pizza since we were having a group meeting tonight. I am in the habit of ordering pizza from a different place each time. I've become an ordering pro and am gaining lots of pizza places in my cell phone directory! Our meeting was to prep us to see Carmen at the Metropolitan Opera tomorrow. I already know the story well since we heavily studied it in French in 8th grade and also played excerpts from the opera in band the same year. I'm excited.

We also got our March schedule and boy, is it jam-packed. Hard to believe it's almost March!   

0 comments: