2.08.2013

This Midwest Girl Can't Escape a Good Snowstorm

I find myself often reminded I'm a Midwest girl when I meet people who have been born and bred on the east coast. If they ask where I'm from, I proudly say, "I'm originally from Wisconsin" and get a deer-in-the-headlights sort of look.

I then add I go to school in Iowa and it's like putting a big label on my forehead with "MIDWEST" in all capital letters. Some people have never even been to the Midwest. How is that possible?

Because, come on, Wisconsin and Iowa are awesome. The Midwest is legit.

Anyways, with all this cold weather and now snow, people are interested in my Midwest origins because I apparently know how to handle a snowstorm.

Well, yes, that's true.

I woke up this morning to a light snow/sleet falling outside my window. The walk to work wasn't too cold but I did walk into The Paley Center with a wet hat and scarf. I met with Marni (my boss) and got a list of assignments. Then off to work I went.

The snow continued to fall outside, still that horrible wet, mush mixture. Around 2 PM or so, I got the heads-up that I would probably be leaving work early. I ended up leaving around 2:30 PM.

It was a little more nasty coming back to the Upper West Side. The snow is now falling down in bigger flakes and sticking. I altered my subway route a little to end up on a 1 train (there's a stop that's two blocks from the hotel) but the 1 was packed. Packed, wet subway rides are NOT fun.

So now I'm back, heated up some warm soup, called my aunt (I'm still going to ride out to New Jersey tonight if I can), and now am going to do a little catch up writing. Our event is still happening (we got an enthusiastic email from Patricia saying it's on so get ready for some dance!) so I'll battle the elements again to see some dance.

Lucky for me, I'm a Midwest girl so I know how to deal with this snow :)

0 comments: