3.24.2013

Dinner with Library LEGENDS

On Tuesday night, I left the library a bit early with Brigid to head uptown to the Columbia area. Our destination, Le Monde, a French restaurant. We were meeting two retired NYPL librarians, Karlan and Lydia. Both are friends with Brigid and both of them helped me land my current internship. Lydia has taken a memoir writing class for the past 19 years at her assisted living home. Her teacher for the past 19 years has been none other than Susan, my theater professor. It's a small world!


Anyways, the four of us had an amazing dinner. The food was out of this world (I had a croque monsieur aka grilled ham and cheese with melted cheese on top of the bread) and we just talked about libraries. Both Karlan and Lydia shared stories of their time as librarians. They talked about what they did and the branches they served at. They also wanted to know more about me and why I love libraries. 

Now, this might not sound like the most interesting dinner conversation, but let me tell you, I was hooked. It was hard to eat because I was talking and listening to their stories. It's librarians like Karlan and Lydia that remind me why I want to be a librarian. They also remind me that I have the passion to be an excellent librarian and that's always encouraging to hear.

I am so thankful for this amazing dinner. Another New York Term item to add to my list of incredible opportunities. 

So yes, I got to eat with NYPL legends. Pretty neat, right?

0 comments: