3.10.2013

Flamenco Ballet and Central Park

Last night I went to another dance event. Patricia is our professor and she always has so much energy. We got a nice change of pace last night and saw flamenco ballet. It was at the same venu as Romeo and Juliet, the New York City Center.

This was definitely different than Romeo and Juliet. The first dance, the curtain went up and on an elevated platform was the live band. A single guitar was playing and five men were on stage. It was a beautiful first dance and the whole first act definitely paid homage to traditional flamenco dancing. The second act had the ballet and was equally beautiful and passionate. Here's a snippet of what I saw, curtsey of the New York City Center.



One of the coolest things was that once the "actual" performance was over, all the dancers were taking in applause and then they started dancing again. It had an improvised feel and when we were talking in the lobby afterwards, Patricia told us that was like if you went into a bar and saw people just dancing. It was beautiful and a lovely way to end the performance.

Today was another beautiful day in NYC. It's about 50 degrees and sunny. Definitely don't need a hat today! The time change got us so once I got up, I was ready to do things. Whitney and I decided a walk in Central Park was needed.

Can I just say I love Central Park? It's so huge and wonderful and yes, beautiful green space in the middle of the city. Whenever I enter the park, I think back to my Cultural Studies class my sophomore year and an essay I read about parks. An ideal park does not have one set path. You could go to the park a thousand times and each time, walk a new path. That is exactly how I feel about Central Park. Whitney and I walked around for a bit and then grabbed some food cart food and sat on one of the giant rocks.

The other task we had to complete in Central Park was obtaining photographic evidence of me doing a cartwheel.

Okay, story time. So the freshman this year at Coe are fantastic and I have several favorites. One of them, who works in the Writing Center, is Sara. We bonded over cartwheels. Usually, we both spent several late nights in the Writing Center and when we needed a break, we could go out into the hall and do cartwheels. It was a lot of fun and a perfect break before jumping back into our homework. I promised Sara that I would do cartwheels in Central Park and take a photo for her.

Mission accomplished:


Can I also just say I love this photo because of the expressions of the people in the background? Priceless.

From there, Whitney and I took a standard Hailley and Whitney photo...

...and then headed to the Coffee Bean. I successfully wrote postcards and now am catching up on random stuff. I also am planning my library extravaganza  Aka one Saturday I'm going to go to as many Manhattan branches as I possibly can. It's going to be intense and awesome. Because that's how much I love libraries.  

We've got another pretty busy week. The London Philharmonic tomorrow, pizza meeting on Tuesday, National Academy Museum on Thursday morning and then A Streetcar Named Desire opera still Thursday night, another pizza meeting on Friday and finish off the week with Henry IV Part I (YES) on Sunday. Wonderful.




0 comments: