3.13.2013

Events, Events, Events!

With about a month left in the city, our events are really kicking into high gear. Monday night, we saw the London Philharmonic Orchestra at the Avery Fisher Hall in Lincoln Center. They played two pieces; Beethoven's Piano Concerto No. 4 in G Major, Op. 58 and Mahler's Symphony No. 5 in C-sharp Minor. The piano concerto featured superb pianist Helene Grimaud; I was able to see her fingers from my seat and she glided across the keys. She is known for her unique interpretations of classical music. A brief intermission occurred after the Beethoven piece and then it was time for Mahler. This was a much longer piece but my favorite out of the two. Without Grimaud there, it really allowed the orchestra to shine. It was a beautiful piece and my favorite moment was the third, "Scherzo, Kraftig, nicht zu schnell." The movement was darker and the string players could really dig into their instruments. The sound was fuller and the clarinets had a feature where they lifted the bell so the sound was shooting directly out towards the audience.


On Tuesday night, we had our final pizza meeting with Murray (I think it's our final). I ordered pizza from yet another place. For every single pizza meeting, I've successfully managed to not order from the same place twice! It keeps things interesting and tasty. We discussed Carmen and the London Philharmonic as well as prepped for our event tomorrow night: A Streetcar Named Desire: OPERA.

Yes, you read that right, opera version.

Tonight was our free night and I'm currently spending it with Alison and Courtney, catching up and working. 

Kathy has an art event tomorrow morning and then we'll head to Carnegie Hall for our second opera. We end the week with a pizza meeting with Susan. 

Apparently even though I'm not in the Midwest, it doesn't mean I can't be impossibly busy. Some things never change I guess.    

0 comments: