3.09.2013

Well, I Guess You Can Use Your Umbella For That...

I woke up on Friday morning to watch snow fall onto the city streets. It seemed to be a beautiful snow, sticking to the trees outside my room.

But, when I walked out I realized that this was not pretty snow. Instead, it was a mixture of snow and rain which only meant slush in the streets.

As I walked to the subway, I was fascinated by the New Yorkers who insisted on using umbrellas.

For snow?

Yes indeed. The rain-snow fell lightly on top of their umbrellas, keeping their hair snow free. I, on the other hand, was perfectly content with my snow-covered hat and hair. It was just a little snow.

But the umbrella trend seemed to be very acceptable on the Upper West Side. I tried to imagine what would happen if I walked around with an umbrella when it snows on campus.

I would get a lot of stares. So many New Yorker things I have to get use to.

Anyways, it was a busy Friday at the Paley Center. They are in the middle of Paley Fest and my projects continued to revolve around this event. The main application I worked with was Tweet Reach, a website that helps to measure the impact of your Twitter account. This allows companies like the Paley Center to see how their message is being received and how it is being passed from user to user.

I find Twitter fascinating, so I have been thrilled to work with Tweet Reach and Hoot Suite to gain a greater understanding of how to make Twitter really work.

About halfway through my day, I also got to work in Storify, which is a place where you can pull from all different social networks into one central place to create a story. Myself and other interns are pulling some of the best of Paley Fest (tweets, Facebook posts, Instagram, and Flickr) in a story form. It was a lot of fun and I hope to make some stories of my own during my spare time (because you know I have a lot of that!).

I ended my day by watching clips from The Walking Dead panel that happened on March 1st. I've never seen the show, but after watching the panel, I think I might have to pick up the first season. It's a zombie, apocalypse show based on a comic book series. I was looking for memorable quotes that could be turned into a tweet or post to help send people to Hulu to watch the panel.

By the time I left the Paley Center, it had stopped snowing. No umbrellas out and about this time. Whitney and I decided to have a quiet night at the hotel. We wandered down to the lobby, ate chips and guacamole, and I watched the live stream Paley Fest panel with the cast and producers of The Mindy Project.

The Mindy Project is created by Mindy Kaling, who was a writer and actress on The Office. She is also the star of this show, playing Mindy Lahiri, a gynecologist in NYC trying to find a You've Got Mail romantic love.

Obviously, that's a bit problematic.

She's backed by a great cast of characters and it was neat to hear them on the panel. The inner workings of the show were revealed and I suddenly had a greater appreciation for the show. I also want the show to do well, so knowing the underside will make me a better cheerleader and supporter!

After the live stream, I just sat back and appreciated my internship at the Paley Center. I was proud of the work I had done to help promote the event and was so happy it was going well. I'm hoping to catch three more panels, Nashville, New Girl, and The Big Bang Theory


0 comments: