3.01.2013

The Big 21!

So much has been going on, I've been slacking on blogging! Today marks the 50th day in the city on the term.

Woah.

My birthday was absolutely wonderful. Probably my all time favorite day on this trip thus far. The day began with Kathy and a simulation of sorts:

You are suddenly very wealthy and have an extra $300,000 lying around. You decide the best way to spend this cash is to buy art. You venture down to Madison Avenue and 57th Street to see what art you can find and "purchase." 
So yeah, we pretended to be big spenders. At first, many of us were a little nervous. Kathy really wanted us to talk to the director of the studio and take this simulation as far as asking for a discount (as if we were to purchase the piece).

But the people at the galleries were FABULOUS. Very understanding of our project and were thrilled we were there. Many directors spent at least 10 minutes with us, entertaining our fake bargaining and teaching us the ways of purchasing art. I found some really great pieces (mainly black and white photography).

FIRST GROUP PHOTO!!!
We had a little bit of down time before it was dinner time. Since we had a night off, the entire group (plus Alison's friend who is in town, Flannery) ventured to Brooklyn for a birthday celebration dinner. We went back to Joya, the Thai restaurant Whitney and I had eaten at. This was probably my favorite group activity we had done. Everyone seemed to be in a good mood and we had lots to talk about. With my new "powers" of being 21, I purchased a glass of sweet riesling to compliment my curry. It was delicious!

Post dinner, we found our way to a frozen yogurt place (imagine that!) and then headed home. Just an excellent way to end my day.    

0 comments: